Saturday, December 4, 2010

Dreamy, Creamy Broccoli Soup

I’ve heard it said that musicians dream in music. It makes perfect sense to me, because my wife, at least sometimes, dreams in recipes.

One day last week, my wife woke up and told me that dinner that night was going to be a low-fat creamy broccoli soup recipe she’d just dreamed. She’s a good cook, particularly with regard to instinct and improvising, and since it was not the first time this recipe-dreaming thing happened it sounded good to me. It wasn’t until dinner that night that I knew just how good, and that, with my wife’s permission, the soup had to be the first (and hopefully not the last) “guest recipe” presented in this space. My only contributions to this were:
  • recogni




Ladle about half the vegetables into a bowl, leaving the other half in the roux. Puree the vegetables removed in a blender, then add the pureed vegetables back into the roux.

In a separate pan, sauté about a do



5 comments:

  1. Mrs. Ben certainly knows a thing or two so she gets my "MWAH-MWAH" for this soup. I would have to leave out the shrimps though as I can't stand them. Not allergic, just hate them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great Ben and Emily. I have head of broccoli in the fridge that needs to be used, so I think I will follow your lead on this one for tomorrow`s dinner. It`s so nice to inspire and be inspired by my fellow on-line food enthusiasts.

    Sandra

    http://foodiemom-torontobites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Angie. The shrimps are an added bonus, but the soup should work well without them, or with some other delightful thing substituted for them. I did get a good one. :-)

    And thank you also, Sandra. Fresh broccoli sounds like it would be great in this. So far we've only made this soup with broccoli, but my wife said she thinks it will work with other vegetables too, and I'm going to trust her. I'm glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like plain broccoli stalks(not florets, oddly)with lemon juice & a hint of garlic. That's all.
    Mine's low fat too :-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, Mary, then may it be so! (I'd miss the shrimp, though...)

    ReplyDelete